Let speak english here!

It's completely broken my brains.

On serious note – “broken brains” is a mental state, disease, medical condition, the language used by doctors, psychiatrists. Bad thing to happen to somebody… brrrrr.

I hope you meant “it blew my mind” – well known idiom, which means that something extremely impresses, overwhelm, shocks or excite you. Then it would be a real compliment in your context.

On serious note – “broken brains” is a mental state, disease, medical condition, the language used by doctors, psychiatrists. Bad thing to happen to somebody… brrrrr.

I hope you meant “it blew my mind” – well known idiom, which means that something extremely impresses, overwhelm, shocks or excite you. Then it would be a real compliment in your context.

Yes, you are right. I haven't practiced English for some 3-4 years, so I forget what I know et I don't get enriched in term of new words and expressions.

By the way, I believe that we have lots of so-called Speaking Clubs in Kharkiv. Typically they are organized by some english school, they are frequently have no admission fee, and what is the most important, they are way better to improve English than chatting on Kharkovforum.

I hope there are lots of Speaking Clubs in Kharkiv. Most of them work at English language schools and they are free. It's much better to improve your English there comparing to chatting on forum.

Don't translate Russian phrases into English word by word. It's the most common mistake. Try speaking English itself like u r and all the time were native English speaker. Just try this way only.

I hope there are lots of Speaking Clubs in Kharkiv. Most of them work at English language schools and they are free. It's much better to improve your English there comparing to chatting on forum.

Don't translate Russian phrases into English word by word. It's the most common mistake. Try speaking English itself like u r and all the time were native English speaker. Just try this way only.

There is a very inspirational quote often attributed to Einstein (but it’s a common mistake):
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

"Don't translate Russian phrases into English word by word. It's the most common mistake" – that is absolutely, completely, totally, utterly, entirely, unreservedly correct!
I hate to say it, but your suggestion proves exactly otherwise…
Let’s see it and please, don’t take it personally.

“I believe that we have lots of so-called Speaking Clubs in Kharkiv” vs.”I hope there are lots of Speaking Clubs in Kharkiv” – both are correct grammatically and linguistically, but you are trying to change somebody’s thought, two sentences have slightly different meanings: the first one conveys more certainty, the second one reflects some kind of doubt. So your correction was unnecessary.

“Most of them work at English language schools” – well, it doesn’t make sense and that’s why: “to work at/in school” usually refers to a person who does a job at/in school, never to an institution/club/organization which is affiliated with or related to or run by any particular school, college, etc.
Moreover, the preposition “at” in the context is out-of-place. In conjunction with “school” it means “physically, literally be present inside a school building, while “in school” means a process – a person is studying in general.
Watch this:

When it comes to a job (let’s say it's about a teacher) it gets trickier: “He works at school” – general description of profession, but if it refers to a particular place/institution then another preposition is used – “He works in the school No. 4”
Therefore,”Typically they are organized by...” is correct both grammatically and linguistically. You also can say school-based, or school-run, or school-affiliated clubs, just to mention possible variations…

“It's much better to improve your English there comparing to chatting on forum” - there is much to say about:

1. In such sentences gerund (“comparing”) is never used. You either use perfect - “compared to” or noun – “in comparison to”. See
Тільки зареєстровані користувачі бачать весь контент у цьому розділі

2. Probably, “compared to” is not in place in this particular context. Preposition “to” (“compared to”) is used when we want to highlight similarities, when we need to underline differences, “compared with” is the proper expression. See

Since the suggestion that one way of improving English is better than another, it seems that we are talking about differences, thus – “compared with”.

3. If you use a comparative ( “much better”) then “compared to/with” shouldn’t be used, that’s grammatically incorrect. See the first link.
Thus, either “a good way to improve your English compared to chatting on forum” or “much better way to improve your English than chatting on forum”, no mix of two.

Overall, the original version “they are way better to improve English than chatting on Kharkovforum” is absolutely correct both grammatically and linguistically.

There will be a free speaking club in the Korolenko library on next Wednesday. An American speaker continues his topic. If you want to join us, get a "readers ticket". Come earlier with your passport.

Как говорит Дмитрий Петров: "регулярность важнее длительности". Он рекомендует заниматься каждый день по 10 минут, мол это лучше чем раз в неделю 1,5 часа. Есть на вашу тему американская шутка про то, что важно практиковаться.
A tourist asked two afro-american street musicians in New York how to get to Cornegie Hall. "Practise, man, practise," came the answer.

а ты сам учишь его так,регулярно?:)

sure , Ukrainian it's 'Харків' but it doesn't mean in Eng has to be Kharkoiv
Kharkoiv is available to use but it is ukroslang

Yes, it does mean that in English it is Kharkiv. And Kharkov is rashaslang (in abovementioned terminology).

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 15.57.09.jpg

Another example is Пекин. Despite to some custom-made russian spelling it is called "Beijing" in English, because in their native language (Chineese) it's called "北京" (ˌbāˈjiNG).

Riff Raff, thanks for detailed analysis, appreciate it.

I'm always building sentences in English from the scratch. Apart of this it's great advice.

There is a very inspirational quote often attributed to Einstein (but it’s a common mistake):
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

"Don't translate Russian phrases into English word by word. It's the most common mistake" – that is absolutely, completely, totally, utterly, entirely, unreservedly correct!
I hate to say it, but your suggestion proves exactly otherwise…
Let’s see it and please, don’t take it personally.

“I believe that we have lots of so-called Speaking Clubs in Kharkiv” vs.”I hope there are lots of Speaking Clubs in Kharkiv” – both are correct grammatically and linguistically, but you are trying to change somebody’s thought, two sentences have slightly different meanings: the first one conveys more certainty, the second one reflects some kind of doubt. So your correction was unnecessary.

“Most of them work at English language schools” – well, it doesn’t make sense and that’s why: “to work at/in school” usually refers to a person who does a job at/in school, never to an institution/club/organization which is affiliated with or related to or run by any particular school, college, etc.
Moreover, the preposition “at” in the context is out-of-place. In conjunction with “school” it means “physically, literally be present inside a school building, while “in school” means a process – a person is studying in general.
Watch this:

When it comes to a job (let’s say it's about a teacher) it gets trickier: “He works at school” – general description of profession, but if it refers to a particular place/institution then another preposition is used – “He works in the school No. 4”
Therefore,”Typically they are organized by...” is correct both grammatically and linguistically. You also can say school-based, or school-run, or school-affiliated clubs, just to mention possible variations…

“It's much better to improve your English there comparing to chatting on forum” - there is much to say about:

1. In such sentences gerund (“comparing”) is never used. You either use perfect - “compared to” or noun – “in comparison to”. See

2. Probably, “compared to” is not in place in this particular context. Preposition “to” (“compared to”) is used when we want to highlight similarities, when we need to underline differences, “compared with” is the proper expression. See

Since the suggestion that one way of improving English is better than another, it seems that we are talking about differences, thus – “compared with”.

3. If you use a comparative ( “much better”) then “compared to/with” shouldn’t be used, that’s grammatically incorrect. See the first link.
Thus, either “a good way to improve your English compared to chatting on forum” or “much better way to improve your English than chatting on forum”, no mix of two.

Overall, the original version “they are way better to improve English than chatting on Kharkovforum” is absolutely correct both grammatically and linguistically.

The professors arrive.:D

I only have "quit smoking" phrase
Quit smoking - самый правильный
"quit smoking"= give up smoking

“I stopped smoking”, “I quit smoking”, “I gave up smoking” – all those expressions are correct and sometimes interchangeable. But not always and not completely.

“I stopped smoking”
– very neutral definition, it doesn’t imply any sense of permanence or circumstances regarding desire and intention, just describes the action. Have somebody forced me to do so? Will I smoke again tomorrow? There is no even slight implication.

“I quit smoking” – there are two nuances which the phrase implies: a)the action was a conscious, deliberate, and voluntarily; and b)my decision is final and I’m not going to smoke anymore at all (at least I think so).

“I gave up smoking” – something different. The phrase also implies that action was voluntarily, but admitting that there were some hard circumstances – I wish to keep smoking, but I can’t.
To illustrate the situation let’s imagine this dialogue:
-I’ve been telling you for thirty minutes for now that TV doesn’t work at all, it’s broken.
-But I want to watch the game…
-It’s impossible, you moron, do you understand?
-I wanna see my favorite team…
-Oh, I can’t do it anymore! I give up!

The first person still wants to convince the second one in something, but just has no strength, gumption, whatever-you-want-to-call-it to keep going. There is only one right thing to do – to give up the conversation.

So, I enjoy smoking, I’d like to keep doing it, but my wife said she’s gonna leave me if I don’t stop. Thus, I gave up smoking.

Now about “stop smoking or stop to smoke”. I found a wonderful lesson which explains the difference, though a bit lengthy, but helpful and worthy:

ладно, кто скажет без словаря, как правильно- stop smoking or stop to smoke?

to quit smoking"=to give up smoking.-бросить курить
to stop to smoke-остановиться покурить,
в канадском англ, уж в вашем лондонском может и по-иному

Тоесть изначальный вопрос был не про английский а про то что правильнее - бросить курить или остановиться на перекур?

Ну ты прям Терренс и Филлип какой-то :іржач:

Назад
Зверху Знизу